Worst MLB Uniforms
Fox Sports had an article today on the worst sports uniforms of all time.Â While baseball uniforms tend to be of similar style and change little Fox has identified that 2 MLB teams made the cut.Â The San Diego Padres camo alternate and the Chicago White Sox Bill Veeck-designed short pants of the late 70’s made the cut.Â Fox’s list can be seen atÂ http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6214496
I made my own list of the 10 Worst Dressed Teams.
10. Washington Nats 1950Â – The dull drab uniform of mostly grey and little navy and a plain block ‘W’ on the chest does not inspire anyting.Â Bad teams with the most plain uniform of modern times.
9. Chicago White Sox 1982-1986 – Fox Sports gives the ChiSox short pants a bad rap but the ones that replaced them with the wrap aroundÂ navy strip was worse.
8. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 1997 – A Devil Ray is not even a real animal so a logo/colour scheme was complelty up in the air – and they couldn’t make up their mind what colour a Devil Ray was so they chose a rainbow. Terrible.
7. Houston Astros – 1975-1982 – The Orange-Yellow-Red colour spectrum for a top was used as a home and road uniform.Â Interesting but ugly.
6. San Diego Padres 1972-1973 – Lots to choose from here but while most people remember the brown Taco-bell style unifroms of the Ozzie Smith, Dave WInfield, Rollie Fingers days but the gold uniform with brown trim and gold sanitary hose were the worst from the Friars.
5. Cleveland Indians 1975-1977 – The fire-engine-red Indians uniform, tops and bottoms, may have been patriotic looking but they were still ugly.Â
4. Baltimore Orioles 1971 – The orange/black/white scheme has been a staple on the Orioles since the 50’s but the orange pants, worn only in ’71 were too much.
3. Pittsburgh Pirates 1977-1979 – The mix and match black/yellow pinstripe worn by The Family were short lived, the old style hat adopted by several teams in 1976 as a NL centennary was maintained until the mid 1990s and was a nice touch.
2. Brooklyn Dodgers 1944 – The Dodgers wore a baby-blueÂ uniform this year, and this year only, they should never have took this design.Â Terrible.
1. Kansas City Athletics 1963-1967 – These are the uniforms that started the change from traditional unifroms to tight fitting, colourful polyester uniforms of the 1970s and 1980s.Â The all-gold with green trim and white shoes has been kept in Oakland to this day.Â This is a crafy design by Charlie Finley who hoped to embarrass his players who were mired in the second divison and would give them their more dignified navy and red uniforms back when they started performing better, 4 WS in Oakland and many divison titles and the remnants of these monsters are still with the A’s.
honourable mention – 1997 Arizona Diamondbacks,Â 1937 Brooklyn Dodgers,Â 1942 Chicago Cubs away, mostÂ other teams in the 1970s and 1980s.Â .