What a way to start the season!
My #1 take away from yesterdays game was the demeanour of the Toronto Blue Jays dugout. Even when they were down, getting owned by a ‘Masterful’ (pun intended) pitching performance, the team never seemed to waiver or get down on themselves.
Here are some numbers from opening day;
- The game was the longest opening day in MLB history going back to 1901 (1360 games according to STATS inc)
- Official game time clocked in a 5:14
- FanGraphs listed the Indians Win Probability as a 97.4% during the bottom of the 8th.
- Six relief pitchers were used.
- All six relievers + Romero combined for 280 pitches thrown.
- Ricky Romero threw 96
- Relievers Carlos Villanueva & Luis Perez threw a combined 103 pitches
- Jays pitchers had a 21 – 11 ground ball to fly ball ratio
- While Justin Masterson recorded 10 K to Romero’s 4, Ricky had nearly as many swing and misses (11 vs Masterson’s 13)
- While Rajia Davis was an 9th inning replacement as a pinch runner, he led the team with 6 LOB in 3 AB.
- Omar Vizquel has played in 2909 career games. Yesterday was his first ‘official’ appearance in LF and only his second at 1B.
- Lawrie & Rasmus were at the bottom of pitches seen per AB, both seeing 26 in 7 PA. The two were a combined 0 for 13 with 1 BB
- Johnson led the team in pitches seen, with 38 in 8 PA (4.75 per PA)
- The Jays top three in the batting order (Escobar/Johnson/Bautista) forced the Cleveland staff to throw 98 pitches
- Jose Bautista’s 3 for 4 day with Sac Fly & 2 BB gives him a .835 wOBA and 0.4 WAR after opening day.
It’s finally official, mopupduty.com is now part of the ESPN Sweet Spot network. I’d like to thank ESPN for taking us on, Drew Fairservice of Getting Blanked for a hook-up, previous partners of Mopupduty.com and of course all of our loyal website visitors.